Business brokers and intermediaries can be valuable allies when it comes time
to sell your business. Here are just some of the reasons why it pays to work
with professional business brokers:
- They help sellers establish a fair asking price – fair to the seller and
the buyer. There is no sense going to market with a price that won’t attract
serious, potential buyers.
- They sift through potential buyers and show the business only to those
who are serious about business ownership. About one out of 50 people who
call about a business ad are really serious enough that they will eventually
buy a business.
- They work on a confidential basis so the entire community doesn’t know
that the business is for sale.
- They show the business at times convenient for the seller and will also
take charge of the process.
- When a potential buyer shows interest in a particular business, the broker
will provide preliminary information on the business, schedule meetings with
the seller, negotiate the terms of a proposed transaction, and will generally
work with the parties until a satisfactory conclusion is reached.
- They guide both the buyer and the seller through all the nuances of the
deal, walking them through the various steps necessary for a satisfactory
- They work with the various outside professionals and act as the conduit
- Finally, a business broker/intermediary, will in most cases, obtain a selling
price that is more than the seller would obtain on his or her own.