Whether buying a business or selling one, going it alone, so to speak, can be
full of surprises and pitfalls. Here are just a few of the ways that a business
broker professional can assist in the sale of a business:
- Help maximize the price a seller can receive for the business. Many times
the secret is in the structuring of the price and terms. A seller shouldn’t
leave money on the table.
- Create and prepare a marketing strategy. The business broker professional
knows the marketplace.
- Interview, educate and show the business to only qualified buyers.
- Keep the seller informed of everything that is happening regarding the
sale of his or her business, and provide advice accordingly.
- Present all offers and point out the weaknesses – and strengths of each
- Provide the names of other qualified advisors, if necessary and any other
resources that will be helpful during the selling process.
The business broker professional is an experienced businessperson who specializes
in selling businesses and helping people interested in selling and buying them.
They know the current market conditions, pricing strategies and the selling
process itself. They know how to market the business and work with qualified
buyers. Sellers must understand, however, that the marketplace and not the
business broker will determine the final price.